[c-nsp] Understanding 10G line card oversubscription

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Mar 22 05:13:44 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 08:57:59AM +0000, Phil Mayers wrote:
> Especially so if you insist on letting bits of your company compete
> against each other with subtly different platforms ;o)
>
> I had a long reply here, but basically: Cisco made their choice. They
> chose to go "clean slate" and discard their own experience. I'm sure
> they'll work their way back up the learning curve. When we come to
> re-procure, we'll see how they do - it's always an interesting experience.

I find this actually not all bad...

On one side, the 6500/7600 split and subsequent customer annoyance was
one of the most stupid thing they could have ever thought up - same hardware,
same software (-architecture), but arbitrary hurdles just to be different.

Just imagine how powerful the 6500/7600 platform could have been if they
had joined forces, instead of competing internally, and spending twice the
development effort (Sup720 and RSP720, new -E chassis and -S chassis, etc.)

OTOH, completely ditching IOS and going for a new and clean software
architecture (and I'm not sure I consider XE "clean" for any definition
of the word, while it's indeed a "new architecture"...) is something
I strongly applaud the Nexus team for.

What I'm worried about is that Cisco is again making the mistake of
splitting engineering resources (classic IOS, XR, XE, NX-OS) and so all
the "new" OSes are still lacking features, are competing with each other,
instead of having a single decent OS for their router and switch plattforms.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de