[c-nsp] QOS Puzzler..

Peter Kranz pkranz at unwiredltd.com
Wed Mar 23 16:45:41 EDT 2011

I'm trying to adapt a QOS method we use under linux into cisco space..
Anybody got the cisco QOS fu to give me a general idea of how to do this in
cisco world..

Problem:

-          We traffic shape wireless access points, with a single access
point connected per switch port, with several customers attached to each
access point

-          Each customer has his own subnet, but is on the same vlan, so
shaping must be done by subnet

-          Each customer is sold a plan that has a CIR (minimum data rate)
and MIR (peak data rate if resources are available), each customer may have
a different plan

-          If the aggregate of total customer usage is less than the total
access point capacity, allow them to burst above their CIR up to their MIR
limit

Solution:

-          On linux, we use HTB to do this.. The port has a root class with
the total capacity of the access point configured, customers are configured
with RATE= (CIR) and CEIL= (MIR) rates, along with RULE = Subnet.. It's very
straightforward and works remarkably well.

Peter Kranz
 <http://www.unwiredltd.com/> www.UnwiredLtd.com
Desk: 510-868-1614 x100
Mobile: 510-207-0000