[c-nsp] DHCP_PD usage for PPPoE Access

Miquel van Smoorenburg miquels at cistron.nl
Fri Mar 25 10:06:22 EDT 2011

On 25-03-11 2:31 PM, David Freedman wrote:

>> In our setup, we have no address for the WAN link, we just delegate a
>> /48 via DHCP-PD to the CPE.
>
> Do you provide CPE management? if so, how do you propose
> managing/monitoring the CPE?, via the LAN address? What if the LAN
> interface is down?

Not at the moment, but we're looking into that. Will probably do that
over v4 at first, though.

But yes, we have thought about it.

What we want our vendor to implement is:

- use the first /64 for WAN or internal loopback
- PREFIX::1 should be ping-able for monitoring purposes
- al ICMP messages originated from the modem should be sourced
   from PREFIX::1
- No service should listen on PREFIX::1
- services like TR069, SIP etc should listen on a
   non-predictable address in PREFIX::/64

Mike.