[c-nsp] DHCP_PD usage for PPPoE Access

Miquel van Smoorenburg miquels at cistron.nl
Fri Mar 25 17:52:12 EDT 2011

http://potaroo.net/ietf/all-ids/draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-cpe-router-08.txt

    WAA-8:  If the IPv6 CE router does not acquire global IPv6
            address(es) from either SLAAC or DHCPv6, then it MUST create
            global IPv6 address(es) from its delegated prefix(es) and
            configure those on one of its internal virtual network
            interfaces.

    WAA-9:  As a router the IPv6 CE router MUST follow the weak host
            model [RFC1122].  When originating packets out an interface
            it will use a source address from another of its interfaces
            if the outgoing interface does not have an address of
            suitable scope.

In short, put prefix::Y/64 on a loopback interface, then make the WAN
interface ipv6 unnumbered loopback X (or something that has the same
effect - in fact it should behave like that by default)

Mike.