[c-nsp] Fabricpath on Nexus

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists lists at hojmark.org
Tue Mar 29 03:46:18 EDT 2011

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 10:51:07 +1100, you wrote:

>> If it really is only two boxes, FabricPath provides *no* benefits,
>> only more complexity

> 1. FabricPath adds no complexity compared to traditional L2 (STP).

But with two boxes, you wouldn't need STP... And while there may not
be much configuration, the technology is certainly more complex than
link aggregation.

>  - you can evolve your network to far more ports active from any
> path to any other path active/active

With two boxes and link aggregation, all ports would be active...

>  - you get a lot more flexibility in the topology you build.

You don't need much flexibility in the topology for two boxes...

>  - FabricPath has significant convergence advantages over STP

Yeah, but over link aggregation as well?

>  - "conversational MAC learning" is enabled by default.

Would that make any difference for two boxes?

> there are other benefits too, but thats the high level.

I'm certainly not saying FabricPath has no benefits. In fact I think
it's awesomely cool and solves very real problems. But I was answering
the OP's question on using it for *two* boxes, not judging it in
general.

-A