[c-nsp] Layer 2 Local Switching - 7606 ES-20

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Mar 30 17:23:15 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 15:34 -0400, Andrew K. wrote:
> To achieve this I am trying to use layer 2 local switching between two
> router ports on a ES20 (7600-ES20-GE3C) card.
[...]
> connect WORKTHISTIME GigabitEthernet1/0/3 GigabitEthernet1/0/2

This doesn't work on a switch, which the 7600 us.

> This cisco document confirms this should work :
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0s/feature/guide/fslocal.html#wp1172344
>
> This does not seem to be working, am I missing something?

It says:

 | Supported Port Adapters and Interface Processors on the Cisco
 |  7600-SUP720/MSFC3 Router
 |
 |   * All port adapters on the Enhanced FlexWAN module
 |   * All SPAs on the SIP-200 line cards

The ES is neither of those. I'm not familiar with ES cards, but I'd
imagine there's some other slick way to do what you want.

Have you considered just using regular switching on a LAN card? Or are
there reasons that wouldn't work?

--
Peter