[c-nsp] Unidirectional CDP traffic

Gökhan Gümüş ggumus at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 07:22:19 EDT 2011

Hi all,

One of our customer is experiencing a strange problem.
We are providing a link between London and Stockholm via DWDM.
Customer is not able to ping remote site.
Strange things from Stockholm he can see London site as CDP neighbor.
>From London he can not...
Configs are below;

=== London ===
LIXCORML01#cle count gi3/16
Clear "show interface" counters on this interface [confirm]
LIXCORML01#p 10.119.44.150

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.119.44.150, timeout is 2 seconds:
Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

-----Stockholm----

SOXCORML01#sh cdp nei gi3/11
Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge
                  S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater, P - Phone,
                  D - Remote, C - CVTA, M - Two-port Mac Relay

Device ID        Local Intrfce     Holdtme    Capability  Platform  Port ID
LIXCORML01.abc <http://lixcorml01.nd.barcapint.com/>
                 Gig 3/11          133             R S I  WS-C4900M Gig 3/16
SOXCORML01#

Interface configs are below;

=== London ===
interface GigabitEthernet3/16
 description euNetworks BAR0001_LON_STO_GE_26254_001 to SOXCORML01 Gi3/11
 switchport access vlan 628
 switchport trunk native vlan 628
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 628,728
 switchport mode trunk
 speed nonegotiate
end
===
=== Stockholm ===
interface GigabitEthernet3/11
 description euNetworks BAR0001_LON_STO_GE_26254_001 to LIXCORML01 Gi3/16
 switchport access vlan 628
 switchport trunk native vlan 628
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 628,728
 switchport mode trunk
 speed nonegotiate
 spanning-tree portfast
end

=== London ===
LIXCORML01#sh int gi3/16 sw
Name: Gi3/16
Switchport: Enabled
Administrative Mode: trunk
Operational Mode: trunk
Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q
Operational Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q
Negotiation of Trunking: On
Access Mode VLAN: 628 (628-SOX-PROD)
Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 628 (628-SOX-PROD)
Administrative Native VLAN tagging: enabled
Voice VLAN: none
Administrative private-vlan host-association: none
Administrative private-vlan mapping: none
Administrative private-vlan trunk native VLAN: none
Administrative private-vlan trunk Native VLAN tagging: enabled
Administrative private-vlan trunk encapsulation: dot1q
Administrative private-vlan trunk normal VLANs: none
Administrative private-vlan trunk associations: none
Administrative private-vlan trunk mappings: none
Operational private-vlan: none
Trunking VLANs Enabled: 628,728
Pruning VLANs Enabled: 2-1001
Capture Mode Disabled
Capture VLANs Allowed: ALL

Unknown unicast blocked: disabled
Unknown multicast blocked: disabled
Appliance trust: none
===
=== Stockholm ===
SOXCORML01#sh int gi3/11 sw
Name: Gi3/11
Switchport: Enabled
Administrative Mode: trunk
Operational Mode: trunk
Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q
Operational Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q
Negotiation of Trunking: On
Access Mode VLAN: 628 (628-LIX-PROD)
Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 628 (628-LIX-PROD)
Administrative Native VLAN tagging: enabled
Voice VLAN: none
Administrative private-vlan host-association: none
Administrative private-vlan mapping: none
Administrative private-vlan trunk native VLAN: none
Administrative private-vlan trunk Native VLAN tagging: enabled
Administrative private-vlan trunk encapsulation: dot1q
Administrative private-vlan trunk normal VLANs: none
Administrative private-vlan trunk associations: none
Administrative private-vlan trunk mappings: none
Operational private-vlan: none
Trunking VLANs Enabled: 628,728
Pruning VLANs Enabled: 2-1001
Capture Mode Disabled