[c-nsp] unnumbered SVI on 6500/sup720

Anton Kapela tkapela at gmail.com
Sun May 1 08:24:11 EDT 2011

Where I've used unnumbered svi, it's usually in places where I can
afford 5 to 10 minute leases; on the rare occasion a box blows up,
it's only an average of half the renewal countdown before folks are
re-entered into the fib.

You could, perhaps, bridge the gap by using "connected host arp
polling" after reload, perhaps applied & shortly afterward removed by
an EEM script...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/31sga/configuration/guide/unnumber.html

Dirty, for sure -- and seems to break the whole "must dhcp before
working" benefit -- but could reduce the outage duration, and of
course is entirely local, independent of dhcp state upload having
previously succeeded.

-Tk