[c-nsp] Cisco 2811 and HWIC-1GE-SFP

Chris Knipe savage at savage.za.org
Mon May 2 13:24:27 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I'm in the process of planning an new edge router, and I'm currently looking
at the Cisco 2811..   We need to have 2 x HWIC-1GE-SPF, 2 x WIC-1ADSL, and 2
x WIC-2T in the router.

Looking at the datasheet of the 2811, it states that 4 slots are on board,
capable of HWIC, WIC, VIC, or VWIC type modules - with an additional bank
for an additional network module.  The HWIC-1GE-SFP Datasheet
(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/product_data_shee
t0900aecd8016be8d_ps5949_Products_Data_Sheet.html) indicates that only 1 of
these modules would be supported on the 2811?

Now, I realise that max throughput on the 2811 with two of these line cards
will obviously be a huge bottleneck, but we will be nowhere near 100mbit/s
throughput on these interfaces.  My main goal in using this interface on the
2811 would be to terminate long range fiber on through an SFP interface.

Given the low throughput on these WICs (Active/Passive failover), would I be
able to install two of them into the 2811, or do I need to look at an
alternative router?

--

Chris.