[c-nsp] MBGP for Multicast with VRF-Lite

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue May 3 07:54:36 EDT 2011

On 03/05/11 12:49, Arie Vayner (avayner) wrote:
> James,
>
> Why do you need to advertise multicast routes over BGP?

We had to do this a while back to comply with upstream policies. They
were running multicast AF, and if we didn't advertise our unicast
prefixes into the multicast AF as well, RPF would always fail.

IIRC this was some limitation of the IOS version they were running on
their GSRs, but it was a long time ago.

Point being: it's

> I multicast, usually, you need to advertise the sources (regular
> unicast...) to be reachable through the path where multicast is flowing
> (to make RPF work).

Isn't that what he's asking for?

The problem is, you can't do this:

router bgp xxx