[c-nsp] Cisco Router Traffic Thresholds

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue May 10 05:54:08 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 02:12 -0700, jacob miller wrote:
> Am looking to get the various traffic thresholds for different cisco
> routers most notably cisco ASR 7600 series and 3900 series.
>
> I believe cisco does stress tests on its products and this information
> is what am seeking so i may know how the routers will behave in a live
> environment as am unable to generate huge amounts of traffic.

There's a rather old but still useful report on the 6500 here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper0900aecd800c9589.pdf

The 6500 and 7600 share the same hardware architecture, so results would
be the same. They tested hardware forwarding, which I suppose you'd be
interested in for the 7600.

Regarding the 3900 (ISR) you must keep in mind that it's a software
forwarding platform, and performance is a direct result of the
complexity of the configuration.

--
Peter