[c-nsp] MPLS Netflow capabilities

chip chip.gwyn at gmail.com
Tue May 10 22:57:08 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 1:32 PM,  <cisconsp at secureobscure.com> wrote:

> I have an upcoming requirement to collect netflow data (source & destination
> IPv4 and IPv6 statistics) at an aggregation point in the topology.
>
> Unfortunately this aggregator is an ASR9010 PCore with no VRFs, BGP, or
> knowledge of customer routing.

> Can the ASR9k acting as a pure MPLS P router collect the IP header netflow
> information for export from MPLS encapsulated traffic ingressing or
> egressing a given interface? Or is this feature only supported in a PE role?
>
> Please let me know if you have any thoughts or experience regarding this
> kind of setup.
>
> Thank you for your time,
>
> John

As others, I have no direct experience with this, but this document
seems to indicate the ASR9k devices can unwrap MPLS and pull IPv6 and
IPv4 data out:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k_r4.0/netflow/configuration/guide/nfc40flow.html#wp1068254

Specifically:

--------------------------------------
In Cisco IOS XR Software Release , at a time, you can have only one
MPLS flow monitor running on an interface. If you apply an additional
MPLS flow monitor to the interface, the new flow monitor overwrites
the existing one.

At a time, you can apply only one flow monitor on an interface per
direction. You can apply either the same flow monitor to an interface
in both directions, or each direction can have its own flow monitor.

You can configure the MPLS flow monitor to collect IPv4 fields, IPv6
fields, or IPv4-IPv6 fields. IPv4-IPv6 configuration collects both
IPv4 and IPv6 addresses using one MPLS flow monitor. IPv4
configuration collects only IPv4 addresses. IPv6 configuration
collects only IPv6 addresses.

The MPLS flow monitor supports up to 1,000,000 cache entries. NetFlow
entries include the following types of fields:

•IPv4 fields
•IPv6 fields
•MPLS with IPv4 fields
•MPLS with IPv6 fields

--chip

--
Just my $.02, your mileage may vary,  batteries not included, etc....