[c-nsp] where is mac address for a 1720?

Antonio Querubin tony at lavanauts.org
Wed May 11 11:58:32 EDT 2011

On Wed, 11 May 2011, Jared Mauch wrote:

> If you're so inclined, check the edges (and undersides) of all the PCBs
> internally.  If that doesn't work, just program one or manually set it
> on the interface.  With a few rare exceptions you can use the same mac
> address on multiple physical interfaces in the same device.  (eg: 6500
> has one mac address even if you have hundreds of IP ports).

Already took it apart and looked on both sides of the motherboard but I
didn't think to check the edges.  I've never seen anything printed on the
edge of a PCB before as the surface of the edge tends to be rougher than
the top or bottom surfaces.

> I would take the mac address of some device on the other side of the
> world, or another 1720 that would not be placed on the same lan and just
> clone that one, or the mac of the bluetooth interface on some other
> machine that will not be speaking ethernet :)

I did make up a random mac though I'm not sure if certain bits must be
turned on or off.

Antonio Querubin
e-mail:  tony at lavanauts.org
xmpp:  antonioquerubin at gmail.com