[c-nsp] "vlan-id dot1q" command

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Thu May 12 03:26:53 EDT 2011

Is it possible to accept tagged frames on a router port without
creating a virtual interface at first? For example, take a look at
following two setups:

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/1323/dot1qinterface.png

In first setup I created a virtual interface Fa3/0.100, which accepts
802.1q frames with VLAN tag 100. Router and PC are able to reach each
other on network layer.
In second setup I tried to force interface Fa3/0 to accept 802.1q
frames with VLAN tag 100 directly without creating virtual interface
Fa3/0.100. However, I was not able to ping between the PC and the
router. Somebody tried similar setup in this thread:
https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-12746

Is it possible to accept tagged frames on a router port without
creating a virtual interface at first on Cisco equipment? If not, what
does this "vlan-id dot1q" command mean under interface configuration?

regards,
martin