[c-nsp] redirecting links to a given web page question

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu May 12 12:19:14 EDT 2011

On 12/05/11 17:07, Scott Granados wrote:
> Hi, wondering if anyone has worked out a way to do this.
>
> Say we have a network with all cisco devices, mainly 7200 routers and
> various switches, nothing exotic.  Customers attach via various
> methods primarily the standard T1's that are handed off on DS3 loops
> or metro E, that sort of thing. Is there a clean way to redirect say
> non paying customers to a payment portal much like a wireless
> provider pushes you through an authentication portal or 4G provider
> dumps you to a page notifying you to call customer service?  I'm not
> even sure what you call this feature so not sure what to google for.

Captive Portal.

There are various solutions - using DHCP to give unregistered customers
different IPs, and directing traffic from those IPs to the portal via
policy routing for example.

Alternatively you could have a "NONPAYMENT" vrf, and push customers who
don't pay into that VRF - direct the default route in that VRF into the
captive portal to achieve the same effect.

It's unusual to do this on a per-WAN-link basis.