[c-nsp] OSPF on Ring Networks

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Sat May 14 12:50:39 EDT 2011

On 14/05/2011 16:05, Christian Meutes wrote:
> Here it depends. If the next-hop changes OSPF will in most cases converge
> faster than BGP. So if there aren't that many routes and you can live with
> less policy possibilities I would prefer OSPF over BGP for carrying
> non-infrastructure networks.

yes if the next-hop changes, but network topology change events will often
not cause a next-hop change, just a SFP recalculation - which means that if
your SFP domain is smaller, it will converge faster.  I.e. the router's FIB
may be updated, but ibgp will not be aware of the topology change.

The things that cause next-hop changes are customer edge flaps.

As regards carrying non-infrastructure prefixes in OSPF, it really depends
on how big your network is.  For small networks it doesn't matter very
much.  For large networks, there is no choice other than ibgp because
having a functional prefix management system is more important than shaving
a couple of seconds off a customer edge link-up event.  For networks in the
middle, they usually start out by putting non-infrastructural prefixes into
the IGP but change later on because it doesn't scale well and having a
flexible interior routing policy becomes more important than fast convergence.

> BFD, MPLS-FRR, SPF- and Flood-Tuning for even faster convergence.

...and for even more CPU load.

Nick