[c-nsp] Routing IPv6 with IS-IS in NX-OS

Jay Ford jay-ford at uiowa.edu
Wed May 25 09:21:29 EDT 2011

On Wed, 25 May 2011, Gert Doering wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 09:48:37AM +0800, Mark Tinka wrote:
>> Either customers don't want it, or someone at Cisco thinks
>> it isn't important to have in these systems.
>
> "These devices are not for ISPs, nobody wants IS-IS there!"

Yeah, they do seem to think that.

We're (mostly) not an ISP, but IS-IS is a good fit for us as a campus IGP to
do IPv4 & IPv6 routing.  The Nexus 7k does do other IPv6 things & it does
IS-IS for IPv4, but the lack of support for IPv6 in IS-IS makes it harder to
integrate the Nexus 7k (as a data center router) into the campus net.

Those with demands for IPv6 functionality in general & specific features like
IS-IS for IPv6 should make them known to Cisco & other vendors.