[c-nsp] relation between heat and packet-loss

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Thu May 26 05:54:56 EDT 2011

I have a 1U server in the data-center, which is connected trough
digital distribution frames to ISP Cisco 4500 series switch and from
this switch to Cisco 7200 series router. ISP switch and router are in
the same room(room A). Server is in another room(room B). Previous
weekend I noticed heavy packet loss to my server and when I connected
to the server over out-of-band management(another ISP, no equipment in
room A) and pinged the default gateway of my server(Cisco 7200 in room
A) results were around 90% packet loss. I'm aware, that there was some
sort of AC malfunction in room A and that was the reason ISP provided
to me in order to explain this heavy packet loss, but how could
increase of temperature cause such packet loss? I mean temperature
speeds up diffusion in materials and can cause semi-conductors to
switch by itself, but I really can't see connection between increased
temperature of network equipment and packet loss.. Any
ideas/experience?

regards,
martin