[c-nsp] need good recommendation for isp gateway nat bgp pbr

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Thu May 26 13:12:48 EDT 2011

On 26/05/2011 17:37, Brian Roche wrote:
> Gotcha.  Do you have a recommendation then for a USED router that will
> have 3 or 4 GiE ports, will handle BGP/PBR for 3 upstream providers
> (remember Default only so basically 3 next hops), 20k NAT sessions,
> and 500 Mbs Internet bw?

An NPE-G2 will handle 500mbps so long as your PBR isn't too hairy.  I
really wouldn't do this on an NPE-G1/7301 though.

Can I make a recommendation?  Get more IP address space now to deal with
your current customer base.  In a couple of months time, there will be no
more ipv4 address space easily available and you'll lose the opportunity
forever.  Also if your publicly addresses customers are on someone else's
address space (e.g. owned by transit / upstream), get address space for
them too.

ARIN still has ipv4 address space left, but it will be gone for good shortly.

Nick