[c-nsp] need good recommendation for isp gateway nat bgp pbr

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Thu May 26 18:28:04 EDT 2011

On 26/05/2011 18:38, Mark Tinka wrote:
> ... I guess my point was more about the fact that in case
> the number of sessions were to oscillate in a much wider
> range due to customer usage patterns, special events (think
> the British Royal wedding, et al), e.t.c., I'd be more
> comfortable with a box like the ASR1000 than the 7200.

ok.  before proceeding any further, let's go back to the original spec:

configuration:
	- npe-g1
	- 150Mbps transit
	- 20k nat sessions
	- policy routing to two upstreams
	- trivial use of bgp
	- hairpin in/out routing over inbound trunk
	- overruns on trunk port

So, couple of things here:

1. your use of bgp is completely trivial and is not contributing to your
load in any way whatever.

2. Port overruns on your current trunk port at this relatively low traffic
rate suggest that you will need to be extremely careful about taking new
cable/fttx traffic over this port in future.  I would advise that you
monitor this port with a very short timing interval (e.g. 30 seconds) so
that you can see microbursts which may not otherwise show up on the
standard 5 minute polling interval.

3. overruns are a hardware problem caused by a lack of capacity on the
incoming interface, rather than by a shortage of cpu / resources on the
router controller.  See the following doc for more information:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-2613

This means that you have two choices with regard to fixing the problem:
either you find some way of restructuring your incoming / outgoing network
traffic so that they aren't both on the same port on your 7246, or else buy
a border router and route your outbound traffic over that.  If you have the
port space on the ubr, you could split out the traffic into separate vlans
and use that to route it over separate ports on the router.  Wouldn't
really recommend this though.

4. if are planning 500 megs transit capacity, it's likely that the number
of NAT sessions will scale similarly.  Furthermore, unless you take drastic
steps to remove as much nat as possible from your network now, you're not
going to be able to do so in future because ARIN will have no ipv4
addresses to give you.  This means that future customer acquisition will
come in as natted customers.

Regarding future scaling:

5. if you choose PBR instead of dfz routing, I don't know how an npe-g2
would handle that.  Personally, I wouldn't try it and would strongly
recommend against this sort of thing on a service provider network.  This
is an enterprise feature, not a service provider tool, and it's not really ser

6. if you scale up your nat requirements proportional to your traffic
estimations, that suggests that you're actually going to be handling
upwards of 60k nat sessions instead of 20k.  And if this is an average, you
may well be hitting way more at peak times.  Worse still, if someone DoSs
you from inside your network, then they could really trash your network.
Also, NAT means a single point of failure on your network.

7. while an NPE-G2 will certainly handle the 500mbps traffic requirement
you have, by adding PBR and NAT into the mix, you're creating the sort of
scenario where an NPE-G2 will probably not really work for your.  This
means you'll need to step up to an ASR1k if you want to stick with Ciscos
and PBR and NAT.

If I were in your position, I would:

8. remove PBR and move to a full DFZ feed from your upstreams.  PBR causes
a CPU hit on a software router like an npe-g1/npe-g2, and if you're dealing
with 3 transit providers, you probably want to use default free bgp routing
anyway.  It's a lot more efficient and BGP will generally be able to make
more sensible decisions about routing than you will.

9. take drastic steps to avoid using NAT and move to public addresses as
fast as humanly possible so that you don't paint yourself into a nat corner
in future.  If this isn't an option, then I would take pains to limit NAT
to specific parts of the network so that you don't have a single giant nat
box inline in the middle doing absolutely everything. It simply doesn't
scale and will cause horrendous problems as your network grows.

10. get at least one and possible two border routers to talk to your
upstreams (what if one fails?).  If you want to do just 500 mbps traffic
with DFZ routing, an c7200/npe-g2 will work nicely.  If for some reason you
really want to stick NAT on your border router or routers (don't do it!),
then you'll need an ASR1k, and I would recommend that you get an ESP10
based box for reasons mentioned previously.  But see #9.

11. You _could_ use an asr1001 with ESP5 and use PBR + NAT as your border
router.  It would probably work but I wouldn't recommend doing it - in any
situation.

Nick