[c-nsp] EMC Centera storage problems vs nexus 5K

John Gill johgill at cisco.com
Sat May 28 18:43:26 EDT 2011

Hello Arne,
I do not completely understand the topology - are the host and EMC
connections all on the same N5k?  Perhaps the host is on a fabric
extender or a different switch?  Also, do you have a monitor session
configured?  There are scenarios where this can come into play.  It
would be good to know the version of code in that case as well.  Sorry
for all the questions, but I do have a hunch.

The N5k utilizes ingress queuing, so you would use "show queuing
interface ethX/Y" on the source interface of the transfer.  You might be
seeing "ingress discards" there if your issue is 10G to 1G
over-subscription.

The feature we have on the Nexus 5000 to change our congestion behavior
is to configure a class of traffic for "no-drop" and enable either
link-level flowcontrol or priority flowcontrol (pfc) to slow down the
source.

The issue of small files vs. big files - it clould be related to MTU or
simply amplify the problem by letting TCP windows get large and then
retransmissions are more costly?  What MTU setting is on the EMC and host?

Regards,
John Gill
cisco
919.392.2309