[c-nsp] Catalyst 6524 rate limit per port/vlan

John Gill johgill at cisco.com
Sun May 29 21:57:15 EDT 2011

Hi Pavel,
Every hardware-enabled platform needs features designed into the
capabilities of the ASICs, so it's not necessarily a question of
difficulty, but just that the ability wasn't built into PFC QoS.

If you look at the ES20 modules for example, you will see that
functionality is available on those cards (average rate traffic
shaping).  Interestingly, the ability to rate-limit egress is also
fairly flexible on 3560/3750.  Not to the extent that you could do
dual-bucket policers or anything, but you can provide a % of line rate
to transmit, and the rest of the time slots the mac is idle.

I would say this type of feature would be more useful in the SP arena
Most 6500's are used in the enterprise, so the ability to perform egress
shaping would have been determined to be less desirable in favor of some
other feature set.  I didn't design the box, just food for thought.

Regards,
John Gill