[c-nsp] qos (?) capacity question

Tom wellknown at gmx.net
Tue May 31 08:21:13 EDT 2011

Hello,

we are doing lab training on univ. with some cisco 6509, force10 e300 and juniper m.

I personally have a rootserver from a popular french hoster. They recently implemented some protections for their network.

- Limiting all incoming udp traffic to 50mbit/s per destination ip (server)
- Limiting all outgoing traffic (icmp+syn 32kb/s, udp 100mbit/s

As far as I know, they are using cisco routers

Is this type of policing implemented by qos?
There must be counters for millions and millions of source / dest IPs in Hardware. Where is the capacity limited?

I would like to test such policing on the cisco, force10 and juniper hardware.

Thanks for enlighten me,

Tom