[c-nsp] Catalyst 6524 rate limit per port/vlan

John Gill johgill at cisco.com
Tue May 31 10:00:36 EDT 2011

Mohammad,
The ES ports on the ME3750 are different than the other ports.  Which
kind are yo using?

For ES ports you can use average rate shaping (class-based):
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/catalyst3750m/software/release/12.2_50_se/configuration/guide/swqos.html#wp1282429

For non-ES ports, you can use "srr-queue bandwidth limit" to shape an
entire interface to a rate, configurable at integer percentages - this
is a great command but lacks in granularity.  For example,  you can set
a gigabit port to 80% bandwidth, and you may see "show mls qos interface
gi1/0/1" will say the bandwidth limit is 81.75.  If you set the
bandwidth to 81%, you may see the limit has not actually changed, or
perhaps it's now 82.03.  Just making up some examples, but basically you
will see the actual hardware implementation of that command when you
check it.  The downside is that this command affects the whole port and
is not a true CIR, so it works well for handing off to a provider that
charges you overage but not great if you are using it for a customer
that you guarantee a certain burst.  When using bandwidth limit, you are
relying on the egress buffers to handle the burst, so as you allocate
more buffer for a given queue, you will see better performance in
congestion.

Regards,
John Gill
cisco