[c-nsp] BGP peer/customer routes

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Tue May 31 10:24:55 EDT 2011

On 5/31/2011 5:57 AM, vince anton wrote:
> So what happens now is that for this more specific customer prefix, I have a
> specific route saying some AS5 nets are preferable via the peering link than
> via the direct customer link,  and if I want to deliver transit traffic to
> my customer, my router would choose the peering link.  This is not desirable
> behaviour.
My standard practice has always been to apply a high local preference on
customer-announced routes, medium local pref on peer-announced routes,
and low (but still higher than the system default of 100) local pref on
upstream-announced routes.  The logic behind this is: "I'd rather get
paid for traffic than exchange traffic for free than pay for traffic."

If you then communicate the local preference structure to your customer,
you then basically turn the keys over to the customer to control their
routing as they wish.  I also provide customers with an opportunity to
tweak local pref within my network using communities, so they can
override in that manner as well.

pt