[c-nsp] IOS Content Filtering

Antonio Soares amsoares at netcabo.pt
Thu Nov 3 08:30:37 EDT 2011

Hello group,

I have a situation where a router hangs when Office 2010 traffic is
traversing a router with IOS Content Filtering configured.

This was a new feature for me so here's some information about it for those
who might be interested:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/sec_data_plane/configuration/guide/sec_u
rl_filtering.html

But my issue is very strange and it started happening after a few clients
were upgraded from Office 2007 to Office 2010.

I found that Office 2010 uses a new protocol so my issue might be related
with that:

"One of the features of Office 2010 and SharePoint 2010 is the use of a new
protocol, MS-FSSHTTP, which facilitates synchronization of files via SOAP
over the HTTP protocol. This new protocol allows locking of portions of a
file, allowing the concurrent co-authoring of the same file. It also lets
you download and upload only changes to an Office file, instead of the
entire file (which is what occurs when using WebDAV)."

More info about this new protocol here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd951054(v=office.12).aspx

Anyone has seen something like this ? To avoid the router hanging I had to
disable content filtering.

Thanks.

Regards,

Antonio Soares, CCIE #18473 (R&S/SP)