[c-nsp] Third Party Xenpaks

Michael Robson michael.robson at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Nov 7 09:09:02 EST 2011

After seeing how much money there is to be saved from using third party optics instead of Cisco branded ones, we finally bought a few to try. We have encountered no issues with using 10Gbps xenpaks, we plugged them in and they just worked. However, we did notice that DOM support was missing for these interfaces which didn't bother us much but slightly more annoyingly was that after rebooting these two 6500s (running SXI5 IOS) we noticed that DOM stopped working for _all_ interface modues (Cisco or third party)-  the "sh int transceiver" command disappeared all together.

Is this to be expected and/or is there a way to restore DOM support for our Cisco Xenpaks?

Ta,

Michael.