[c-nsp] Cisco and third party transceivers

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Nov 9 07:35:56 EST 2011

See below

Jared Mauch

On Nov 9, 2011, at 6:20 AM, Garry <gkg at gmx.de> wrote:

> Interesting side note: in a customer Nexus 5548 we've recently put some
> 20+ SFPs in (1 and 10G) - along with four copper 10G links for NX2248.
> Interestingly, the OEM SFP/SFP+ were recognized as "original" (no
> warning, even without "unsupported transceiver"), but the _original_
> Cisco copper SFP+ link cables are shown as third party ... (I must
> assume they are original, as they were purchased directly from an
> official reseller, and the prices match up to the OIP we set up for the
> project).

Are you sure they were SFP vs GLC? Some platforms support these differently or not at all. Cisco can't keep this straight themselves. They regularly won't support their own optics in their own product unless you got the right one.

Going 3rd party solves all these problems and can save you thousands or millions of dollars. I recently paid $35 for optics that were list $1k. Buys lots of spares for that cost. I certainly was not going to spend as much on optics as the switch!