[c-nsp] Cat 6500 w/ SUP720 for Multi-Cast

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Nov 9 15:27:34 EST 2011

On Wed, 9 Nov 2011, Ronen Isaac wrote:

> Hello,
> Does anyone have any experience with the Sup720 and multicast?  Looking to
> find out how many IGMP groups the 720 will support and if we would need the
> 3BXL or if the 3B would be sufficient.  The application is heavy video
> streaming.
>
> Cisco says Nexus but would prefer to stick with my trusty 6500s.
>
> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

I have multicast running on my 6509s (Sup720-3BXLs), however I wouldn't
necessarily describe our environment as one where multicast is used
heavily.  It works, but I don't have any numbers immediately handy as to
the number of IGMP groups it will support.

If v6 multicast is something you're concerned about, I don't think it's
handled in hardware on the 720.

jms