[c-nsp] Monitoring IPv6 BGP Peering Status via SNMP

Christian Kratzer ck-lists at cksoft.de
Fri Nov 11 07:54:55 EST 2011

Hi,

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011, Voigt, Thomas wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Joe Marr wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have experience in monitoring IPv6 BGP peering
>> via SNMP. I'm
>
> I don't know if this works with Cisco gear, but I think it's a standard MIB...
>
> Do a snmpwalk on BGP4-MIB::bgpPeerState. You will see an Entry for each BGP Peer (IPv4+IPv6) you have.
> But...
> The OID for the IPv6-Peers is notated as if it would be IPv4. =;-)
> So use the first (most left) 4 octets from  the IPv6 address of the peer and note it decimal with points in between.
> This will give you the complete OID to ask for.

which as people have pointed out before is totally pointless if you are
peering with multiple peers in the same /64.  The oid will be the same
for all peers.

Not sure if the are proprietary mibs available so that one could walk
all ipv6 peers.

Greetings
Christian

--
Christian Kratzer                      CK Software GmbH
Email:   ck at cksoft.de                  Wildberger Weg 24/2