[c-nsp] Third Party Xenpaks

Michael Robson michael.robson at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Nov 16 09:16:58 EST 2011

On 7 Nov 2011, at 17:00, cisco-nsp-request at puck.nether.net wrote:

> That sounds like an IOS bug.
>
> What does "sh idprom int Tex/y | inc endor" say for one of the non-Cisco
> parts, compared to a Cisco part?

Mystery solved: without going into the full long story, 75oC ambient temperature in a datacentre causing a config register to become corrupt ended in an ancient backup IOS being booted into, one without DOM support. Prior to the reboot, the only third-party Xenpaks were SR and so had no DOM support anyway (and I won't even go into the confusion caused by the output of idprom claiming our real Cisco SR xenpaks are of the + variety, i.e. DOM supporting).

> We've never had problems with such transceivers and DOM, including with
> SFP+ in a X2->SFP+ converter in a 6716.

Well that in itself is useful to know - thanks.

Michael.