[c-nsp] IOS firewall inspection blocking TACACS

Andrew Harris andharri at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 16 13:11:10 EST 2011

Hi,

I have a fairly simple branch network with a 2911 as the edge router
and some 3750s behind it.

The 2911 terminates an IPSec tunnel over to our DC and all the 3750s
use TACACS with AAA servers in the DC, so the TACACS traffic goes over
the IPSec tunnel.

I have recently decided to use IOS firewall rather than slightly
un-eloquent reflexive ACLs on the router.

Everything works fine when I apply the inspection rules; users can
browse the Internet, I can ping to the DC through IPSec and I can
access Intranet servers through IPSec etc.

One thing that does not work however is TACACS, I can no longer
authenticate. The connections now time out

Does anyone know why this might be? Based on research the inspection
is carried out before encryption, but I cannot see why the TACACS
packets in particular would be blocked.

I have tried inspecting tacacs also but no joy. Also tried adding
inbound inspection on the inside interface of the router as well.

Here is the relevant configuration:

ip inspect name SES tcp router-traffic
ip inspect name SES udp router-traffic
ip inspect name SES icmp router-traffic