[c-nsp] OSPF question / interconnecting ABRs

Jeff Bacon bacon at walleyesoftware.com
Tue Nov 22 22:50:39 EST 2011

> On 11/21/2011 06:59 PM, Jeff Bacon wrote:
> > Is there some better way to handle this? Or do I just do the
> > virtual-links/dual-connects and accept the hack?
>
> Do you actually need areas? How many routes are involved?

There's probably 500 routes or so; it's hard to be sure entirely
because many of them hide behind summarization/range-statements.

It COULD all be run as a single area 0.... but given that the entire
mesh spans everything from a 10G NYC metro ring to a trans-Pac
internet VPN mesh, the result would seem fairly ugly. Other than
the problem of "how to avoid split-area syndrome when there are
> 1 ABRs joining an area to area 0 without creating separate links
between the devices for area X and 0", it works fairly well as-is.

(Well, that and, "why can't you tell an ABR to stop advertising
the range statement when you've lost all other neighbors in that
area?" but that's a fringe case.)

> Could you consider a design with OSPF/iBGP or similar?

That might be an ideal end-game. I still need to finish flushing
out EIGRP, though, and it's a continuously-in-flux network - we
keep adding sites and kit and vendor connections seemingly as fast
as we have time to string it all up.