[c-nsp] negative effects of jumbos on cat6500?

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Nov 24 15:30:35 EST 2011

Hi,

> This is specifically talking about cat6500 with sup2 or sup720 architecture,
> but the general questions "why do vendors not ship large-mtu on L2-ports
> by default, what is the drawback?" remains.

some do.... TP-Link and netgear gig unmanaged switches, for example, just have
it on... in fact, the TP-Link stuff does 15k jumbos  :-)

now, i'm sure a nice scare story will come out saying what might happen...but
we've had the max jumbo frame set on our 6500 and 3750/E/X and 2970 etc aggregator
switches for years now and not seen anything 'untoward'...certainly been affected
by lots of OTHER things during that time that really shouldnt be bugs anymore :-|

jumbo frames on VLAN interfaces however.......... now THAT is a different story ;-)

alan