[c-nsp] ME3600 IOS / SPAN

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Nov 28 04:17:34 EST 2011

On Wednesday, November 23, 2011 07:48:44 AM Ankur Mittal
wrote:

> What I am mainly concerned about is the service instance
> / bridge domain model that was introduced in the whales
> version. Have you found any weird behaviour with doing
> simple VLAN manipulation or Q-in-Q and the QoS
> classification on ingress and or other catastrophic
> problems.

None in our deployment, albeit we're still on 12.2(52)EY2.

Then again, on ingress, we match all; on egress, we either
match all or DSCP/EXP, depending on what service is down
that EVC.

> I would appreciate if you guys can share any other
> findings or open caveats that are not mentioned in the
> cisco release notes but do exist on this software
> version.

Yes, don't attach your Dell laptop to the console port of a
box running 12.2(anything) - it will self-reboot. This is a
known issue.

Also, in many cases, the user-facing ports don't record
traffic statistics. 'load-interval' won't help. The uplink
ports always record statistics just fine, though.

We've also been struck by an interesting one that Cisco
still can't figure out. Initial configuration contains the
'name' option to the 'ip route' command. Log into the
switch, make a change, and the 'name' portion disappears. We
caught this on RANCID, showed it to Cisco, but they can't
reproduce it. It's still happening today, as we have tons of
these boxes.

Mark.