[c-nsp] IOS XR BGP

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Nov 28 11:14:26 EST 2011

On Tuesday, November 29, 2011 12:06:28 AM Keegan Holley
wrote:

>  It's cleaner to have a route type for aggregates than a
> static null0 route with the same default preference of a
> static route.

Why would it be cleaner?

The static route is basically used to pull-up the aggregate
into BGP. This points to a Null interface on all BGP-
speaking routers, ensuring packets that arrive for subnets
not in iBGP or the IGP get dropped, and also announcing said
routes to eBGP neighbors.

Works. Simple. Effective.

> Another is not having eBGP routes
> preferred over iBGP route.

Your aggregates would be in your iBGP. Would you expect to
learn your aggregates from outside your routing domain?

> At the risk of starting yet
> another trite cisco vs. juniper thread, what do you mean
> by preferred device?

What I meant is if we were comparing a Cisco and a Juniper
and the Cisco turned to be more preferred save for this one
feature the Juniper had.

I wasn't implying Cisco are better than Juniper, or vice
versa.

Mark.