[c-nsp] IOS XR BGP

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Tue Nov 29 08:04:42 EST 2011

On Nov 29, 2011, at 5:44 AM, Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 06:44:48PM -0500, Keegan Holley wrote:
>>>
>>> These lowly ASes urgently need to implement anti-bogon filters on their
>>> eBGP sessions.  NEVER EVER accept prefixes belonging to your address
>>> space from the outside.
>>
>> That's crap.
>
> In that case: "I encourage all my competitors to do so".
>
> What's your AS number?  Shall we see what happens if I announce the /24
> with your name servers in it?  (Except that I'm a good guy, and would
> never do that, of course).

Yea sure. I have a better test.  Why don't you tell one of your upstreams that you want to advertise a block they've given you to another ISP for redundancy.  Just because you accept a few routes with LOA agreements doesn't mean you accept any route from any as path.  What's the alternative?  Yet another AS with a single /24 and 10 web servers living unit because their provider wouldn't multihome?

>> You will need to do it to have customers multi-home with your
>> ARIN space for one.  Secondly those outside AS's may belong to your company
>> a sister company or an acquisition and you may want to use the eBGP path as
>> a backup.
>
> Of course there are valid exceptions.  But they should be *exceptions*.
>
> ASes relying on "nobody will do that" or (even worse) relying on vague
> and ill-understood BGP preferences will just feel the pain some day.

Nevermind.