[c-nsp] FTP Throughput

Joseph Mays mays at win.net
Tue Nov 29 15:24:46 EST 2011

Running tests on FTP throughput from a windows ftp client across two T3 hops
to an ftp server running on FreeBSD unix. Pretty much all the bandwidth on
both T3's is available. Total latency averages about 3ms. The customer on
the end of the t3 is complaining that they can't get faster than 600KB per
second anywhere. I get about 1000KB (8mbps) on a file transfer. I can start
multiple file transfers, simultaneously, all top out at about that speed.
The customer is demanding to know why they can't transfer files at, say,
40mbps. I am assuming the answer is something to do with TCP window size,
but how do I prove that?

Joe