[c-nsp] LAC/LNS Routers - 7200 EOL

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Nov 30 10:29:14 EST 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 04:50:18PM +0800, ar wrote:
> Yep. But 2013 will be the last day for routine failure analysis for hardware and 2015 for bug fixes.
>
> I think it will be more practical to invest to new boxes rather than  with7200 will EOS dates for software/hardware.

If we were to buy a box today, and a 7200 could do the job performance-wise,
that's what we'd buy - we know it has all the features we need, and we
know that most of them actually work.  So if there's no bugfixes after
4 years from now, fine enough, as I'd need it to work *today*.

ASR1K is new, the IOS is still lacking stuff, and the bugs are far more
exciting than for 7200-IOS.  And it's expensive, especially adding the
extra costs for licenses.

OTOH, my next L2TP termination device is likely going to be a FreeBSD
box - we're still too annoyed about too many bits inside Cisco [*], and the
price difference between a really hot server and an ASR1k + L2TP license
should nicely pay for whatever customization is needed...

gert

[*] like, the complete lack of an operating system strategy that makes sense,
    or the repeated web site deseasters, or the whole insanity trying to
    register support contracts.  Or BU stupidity, like "oh, yes, we'll have
    IPv6 on all devices, but some of the 800 series won't get it, period"

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de