[c-nsp] Maximum traffic on Gigabit Ethernet

Paul Cosgrove paul.cosgrove.nsp at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 15:57:27 EDT 2011

Hi Nick,

I think you may have an error there.  Your calculations suggest that traffic
in on a 1Gbps interface will fill a 1.3M Byte receive buffer in a little
under a 1/10 of a second.  While the preamble and inter frame gap will slow
the buffer fill rate (the degree depending on the packet size), that seems
very slow.

Presumably the buffer would also be processed by the router, and that would
need to be accounted for over a 5 min interval.

Paul.