[c-nsp] Nexus 7K - Multicast Question

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Tue Oct 4 21:17:26 EDT 2011

Hi Antonio,

Just would like to be perfectly clear what's
going on here: "sh ip mroute" on NXOS shows the
MRIB. The MRIB is specifically for multicast *routing* information.

In the original scenario you described, where the
join-group is configured on the upstream (RPF)
interface and the 7k is not the PIM DR, no
*mrouting* is required or being performed - the
7k is behaving as a host, ie, sending IGMP joins
to pull the traffic. So you'll only see that
state in sh ip igmp groups, not sh ip mroute.
Note that you should still see the multicast
traffic arriving on the n7k RPF interface (thru sh int).

In the case of the loopback, mrouting *is*
required, ie, in order to multicast route the
multicast from the RPF interface to the loopback
- so IGMP feeds the group information and OIF to
the MRIB to enable the mrouting.

This is all just a side effect of the modular
architecture of the NXOS software - IGMP, the
MRIB, PIM, MSDP etc etc are all independent
processes and each maintains its own state based
on what it needs to know; and each only tells
other process(es) about that state when its actually necessary.

Hope that helps,
Tim

At 04:56 PM 10/4/2011, Antonio Soares contended: