[c-nsp] 2800 series IOS versions.

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Wed Oct 5 17:55:34 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 04:06:53PM -0700, Jay Hennigan wrote:
> On 10/4/11 4:00 PM, Keith wrote:
> >
> > Have a 2811 and a 2801.
> >
> > The 2801 runs this:
> >
> > c2801-ipbase-mz.124-1c.bin
> >
> > The 2811 runs:
> >
> > c2800nm-ipbase-mz.123-8.T5.bin
> >
> > What does the nm part of the version mean on the 2811?
>
> The nm means that it supports network modules (the trapezoidal plug-ins
> for expansion).  All of the 28xx series except the 2801 support these.
>
> I've never tried it but suspect that IOS between the two is not going to
> be interchangeable.

IIRC, at the time they came out, there was rumors to the effect that
the 2801 was originally going to be some higher numbered 1800 than the
others that did come out, but they slipped it into the 2800 line
instead as a lower feature model of the rest of the 2800's.

So, probably a different arch inside of the box than the rest of them.