[c-nsp] C7600 vs. ASR 9000

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Oct 6 00:01:12 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, October 05, 2011 02:51:18 PM Mohacsi Janos
wrote:

> After some calculation:
> AS9006 with 6-8 10 GE and 20 GE is slightly cheaper on
> list prices than C7606 with similar amount of ports with
>  ES+ cards.

You really can get an ASR9000 at a much better, similarly-
spec'ed 7600. Just spend some time with your account team
:-).

> The only problem I see at the moment is the software
> upgrade on ASR9K IOS-XR. Most of the time one swoftware
> upgrade requires two reboot (each ~ 10 minutes). In
> C7600/C6500 we could do software upgrade most of the
> time with RP switchover under 2 minutes.

This is a general problem with IOS XR-based systems. Even
service-impacting SMU's that reload fabrics or line cards
can make software upgrades a very annoying experience.

I've discussed this with our SE many times. He says Cisco
are looking at optimizing the process so code updates run
faster. I suppose time will tell, but as of now, we easily
can spend 2hrs on a box if we're catching up with all SMU's.
More if we're also moving up a release.

Cheers,

Mark.