[c-nsp] Log messages saying %MCAST-SP-3-QUERY_INT_MISMATCH

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Oct 7 07:19:28 EDT 2011

On 10/07/2011 12:11 PM, Phil Mayers wrote:

> Having now identified the source IP, it's coming from our switch
> management networks. Our edge switches are Extreme x450, which do run
> Linux. I guess they're electing themselves IGMPv1 querier because they
> have a lower IP address.

>> Are the boxes you're seeing this on acting as queriers, or are they just
>> doing IGMP snooping?
>
> They ought to be the queriers, and certainly believe they are.

Oops, no, I'm wrong.

In fact, multicast isn't enabled AT ALL on our switch management
networks; they are in a VRF which doesn't have multicast routing
enabled, and:

#sh ip igmp vrf DEVMAN interface vlXXXX
% Multicast not enabled for vrf DEVMAN

...which makes it DOUBLY irritating that the log messages are appearing;
the 6500 is *not* the IGMP querier, so it should just shut up about
whatever *is* the querier, and the interval it elects.

Grumble. I'm tempted to open a TAC case, but you just know this will be
one of those awful "But I don't understand!" TAC interactions... Sigh.