[c-nsp] Log messages saying %MCAST-SP-3-QUERY_INT_MISMATCH

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Oct 7 08:02:44 EDT 2011

On 10/07/2011 12:57 PM, Jeroen van Ingen wrote:

>> ...which makes it DOUBLY irritating that the log messages are appearing;
>> the 6500 is *not* the IGMP querier, so it should just shut up about
>> whatever *is* the querier, and the interval it elects.
>
> Hmm, I see what you mean... what if you enabled multicast routing for
> vrf DEVMAN and then disable IGMP snooping on the interface? Perhaps that

It's an option, but I really, REALLY want to avoid enabling multicast
routing just so I can silence a spurious log message.

(It's an MPLS network, so multicast == MVPN, which we do use - but it's
complex enough that it feels like swatting a fly with a sledgehammer...)

> will silence the messages. I assume that some form of IGMP snooping is
> now active even though mcast routing isn't enabled in the VRF.

I guess so, which is fine - conceptually snooping is a layer2 function -
but if snooping is enabled, the 6500 should honour the interval of the
querier, not constantly complain about it, especially since 125 seconds
is the RFC standard, and 60 seconds is some Cisco "we know best"
alternative.

Sigh - I have opened a TAC case. Which I'm sure will be fun!