[c-nsp] No Link between SFP-10G-LRM and X2-10GB-LX4?

Kevin Loch kloch at kl.net
Sat Oct 8 11:10:42 EDT 2011

cisco at entrap.de wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have a 6509 with an X6716-10GE Card equipped with Cisco X2-10GB-LX4 10GE
> modules and a Cisco 2960S-48TD-L Switch with two Cisco SFP-10G-LRM
> modules.

LX4 and LRM are not compatible.  LRM uses a single 1310nm laser,
LX4 uses four lasers around 1310nm and wdm optics.

> Right now I am not able to get an active link between these X2 and SFP
> modules, it stays down/down (notconnected). I instantly get a link when
> connecting X2 to X2 or SFP+ to SFP+ Module. I tried nonegotiate but this
> didn't help.. The 6509 runs IOS 12.2(33)SXI7, the 2960 IOS 12.2(55)SE3.
> Cisco says these modules are compatible to each other..
>
> Has anyone seen this before? Any hints or ideas?

Use 10GBase-LR and SMF whenever possible, even for short distances.
It works great, It's what "everyone" uses so parts are cheap and
plentiful, and you have a single type of optics and cables for sparing.

- Kevin