[c-nsp] Faster BGP Failover

chip chip.gwyn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 11:53:16 EDT 2011

Might want to take a look at BGP PIC.  It won't necessarily help with
failure detection but can greatly speed convergence to get traffic
onto a working path quicker.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/iproute_bgp/configuration/guide/irg_bgp_mp_pic_ps10890_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

*NOTE* I havent' configured it, but have been looking at it.

--chip

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Vincent Aniello
<vincent.aniello at pipelinefinancial.com> wrote:
> What can be done to reduce the amount of time it takes BGP to detect the failure of an Internet connection and start routing traffic through another Internet connection?
>
> We've already reduced the BGP hold-time to 90 seconds.  Can the hold-time be reduced further without causing other problems?  I do not believe that BFD is an option since these are Internet connections.  Are there any other options for reducing the failover time?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --Vincent
>

> Disclaimer: Any references to Pipeline performance contained herein are based on internal testing and / or historic performance levels which Pipeline expects to maintain or exceed but nevertheless does not guarantee.  Congested networks, price volatility, or other extraordinary events may impede future trading activities and degrade performance statistics. Pipeline is a member of FINRA<http://www.finra.org/> and SIPC<http://www.sipc.org/>.

Just my $.02, your mileage may vary,  batteries not included, etc....