[c-nsp] bgp bestpath w/o bgp always-compare-med

Vitkovsky, Adam avitkovsky at emea.att.com
Wed Oct 12 05:22:44 EDT 2011

Hi,
By default the MED comparison only occurs in the first (the neighboring) AS is the same in the two paths -which is not your case

Since these are eBGP routes the next tie breaker is:
Prefer the path that was received first (the oldest one)

IOS always displays the routes the way that the oldest one is at the bottom and the newest one is at the top of the "show ip bgp" output

So in your example the bottom one selected as the best is indeed the oldest one

I have this one printed out and always handy:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094431.shtml

adam