[c-nsp] Faster BGP Failover

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Oct 12 23:44:17 EDT 2011

On Thursday, October 13, 2011 11:12:45 AM Ryan Wilkins
wrote:

> My question is why would you not consider it?

In all fairness, we started using BFD when it dropped about
4 years ago or more. Then, the majority of our routers were
7200's, and we didn't want to overload the CPU with BFD
hellos to infrastructure that wasn't ours.

Same reason we generally disable IETF Graceful Restart
toward eBGP sessions, especially since it's moot - but I
digress.

Perhaps, for us, the reason is still the same - reducing
overhead as much as possible on edge boxes that generally
tend to be quite busy. More so if it's a software box.

I suppose if we move to platforms that implement BFD in
hardware (I know Juniper have a so-called Distributed PPM
[Periodic Packet Management] protocol that allows BFD, CFM,
LFM and LACP, RSTP, MSTP, e.t.c., to run in hardware on
their M7i, M10i, M120, M320, MX, T and TX Matrix routers and
EX switches), then we may be open to reconsidering its use
outside of our core infrastructure.

We do have tons of Juniper kit in the network, running in
the edge where PPM is enabled by default in hardware, but
haven't had customers asking for BFD for eBGP.

I know the ASR9000 doesn't implement BFD in hardware today,
but uncertain about other platforms in Cisco's stable,
particularly the newer ones.

Cheers,

Mark.