[c-nsp] 1Gig->10Gig port-channel migration

Tim Durack tdurack at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 11:03:27 EDT 2011

I'm looking for ideas on a "smart" way to upgrade a 4x 1Gig
port-channel to a 2x 10Gig port-channel with minimal/no impact.

Port-channel connects two 6500s, 12.2(33)SXI6, collapsed
core/aggregation/WAN/Internet/P/PE (we like to maximize ROI :-)

The port-channel is the pop backbone, trunking a bunch of L2 VLANs,
and one L3 VLAN for routing. MSTP is used and stable, 10s-100s of
access and server switches are redundantly connected back to a pair of
core 6500s.

I had hoped I could add the 10Gig links to the existing port-channel,
and remove the 1Gig links.

Next best idea is to migrate the 1Gig port-channel to Po2, and create
a new Po1 with 10Gig links (I would like to maintain Po1 as the pop
backbone.)

Any suggestions?

--
Tim:>